
| Rafael Nadal AFP FILE PHOTO |
MELBOURNE: World No. 1 Novak Djokovic Saturday warned Rafael Nadal’s injury woes showed the Grand Slam stranglehold exerted by the top men’s tennis players was not unbreakable.
Djokovic starts his bid for a third straight Australian Open title next week, a feat which is unprecedented in the professional era and would extend a record in which the top four have won all
but one of the last 30 Grand Slams.
But the Serb said that Nadal’s extended absence with knee problems proved that tennis remained unpredictable—and that there were a host of players waiting to take advantage if the top men falter.
“I think we cannot predict anything. It’s individual sport, so it only depends from you. Anybody can have what Nadal has at this moment,” Djokovic said in Melbourne.
“That’s why you have to be so committed and professional for daily routines. Small details matter for long term, the preparations you do, the practice, the recovery.
“If you are injured, you’re off the tour. Your ranking is going down.”
Argentina’s Juan Martin del Potro is the only man besides Djokovic, Nadal, Roger Federer and Andy Murray to win a Grand Slam tournament since 2005.
Nadal, an 11-time Grand Slam winner, missed much of last season with ongoing knee problems, and announced his withdrawal from the Australian Open last month citing a stomach bug.
“It’s probably expected that the three of us, and Nadal of course, would still be main candidates to win all the major titles,” Djokovic said.
“But, you know, I wouldn’t underestimate del Potro, [Jo-Wilfried] Tsonga, [David] Ferrer, [Tomas] Berdych, anybody who is in the top 10. I’m sure there’s new young players coming up like [Bernard] Tomic, [Grigor] Dimitrov, [Milos] Raonic.”
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:44
By : AFP
Serena Williams AFP PHOTO MELBOURNE: Serena Williams survived a busted lip and Andy Murray raced into the third round on a day of ice-packs and sunscreen as temperatures soared at the Australian Open on Thursday. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:45
By : EMIL C. NOGUERA
Grandmaster (GM) Mark Paragua scored two more victories to grab to solo lead on Thursday in the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) Cup International Chess Championships at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium in Adriatico, Manila. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:19
By : AFP
Lance Armstrong AFP FILE PHOTO WASHINGTON, D.C.: The cancer charity founded by Lance Armstrong said Wednesday (Thursday in Manila) it expects the disgraced cyclist to be “completely truthful and forthcoming” in his upcoming intervi... Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:21
By : JOSEF T. RAMOS
ATENEO de Manila University notched a twin kill, winning in the women’s class and the junior’s class of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) football tourney Season 75 on Wednesday inside the Ateneo campus. Read more
Published : Friday January 18, 2013 | Category : Top Sports News | Hits:21
By : EMIL C. NOGUERA
Last year’s runner-up Ateneo de Manila University nailed its fourth straight win in the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) Season 75 baseball tournament on Thursday at the Rizal Memorial Baseball Stadium in Manila. Read more