26.1 C
Manila
Saturday, January 25, 2020
Home News World Yemen exit deal set to be signed on Monday

Yemen exit deal set to be signed on Monday

 

SANAA: Officials from Yemen’s ruling party and the opposition said on Tuesday that they would head to Riyadh on Monday next week to sign a Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) power-transfer deal as its secretary-general postponed the signing date from Wednesday to May 2.

Opposition spokesman Mohamed Qahtan told Xinhua that they were informed that the gulf council has put off the meeting until Monday and that they will send representatives of the opposition Joint Meeting Parties (JMP) to Riyadh to sign the deal, under which President Ali Abdullah Saleh would leave office within 30 days after inking the agreement.

Earlier, Tarik al-Shami, the Yemeni ruling party’s spokesman, told Xinhua that they have received the invitation and will go to the Saudi capital to sign the deal as well.

Saleh’s ruling General People’s Congress party last week accepted the deal in full, while the JMP sent their approval to GCC Secretary-General Abdullatif bin Rashid al-Zayani late on Monday.

The plan specifies that the JMP will form a national unity government within seven days after signing the deal.


It also says that Saleh must leave office within 30 days in exchange for immunity from prosecution and the new government must arrange presidential and parliamentary elections within 60 days.

Anti-government slogans were echoed simultaneously on Tuesday by tens of thousands of protesters in the capital Sanaa and the provinces of Al-Hodayda, Taiz, Ibb, Al-Bayda, Hadramout and Aden, according to witnesses.

Deadly clashes took place in southern province of Taiz, some 200 kilometers south of Sanaa, where protester Mazin Abdullah was shot dead by snipers and 13 others were injured, a witness told Xinhua on Tuesday.

The clashes erupted after tens of thousands of protesters packed the streets of Taiz to protest the opposition’s full acceptance of the deal despite repeated demands for an immediate end to Saleh’s 33-year rule and for his and his aides’ prosecution, the witness added.

In the southern main port city of Aden, four protesters were wounded when police opened fire in an attempt to put down Tuesday’s protest, a local police official told Xinhua.

In the Red Sea province of Al-Hodayda, at least eight protesters were injured in clashes after demonstrators marched through the streets and shouted slogans against Saleh, said a local law-enforcement officer on Tuesday.

XINHUA

Sara Duterte in US for leadership program vs terrorism

AS President Rodrigo Duterte continued his tirades against the United States (US), his daughter and Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte is in Washington D.C....

Duterte: Let time deal with PH-China sea row

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte said it would be prudent to let "time" deal with the country's territorial row with China than pursuing a "very dangerous"...

2,188 vape stores closed in Metro Manila — NCRPO

A total of 2,188 vape stores in Metro Manila have been closed since the implementation of the vape ban, the National Capital Region Police...

Metro Manila police playing golf to be monitored anew — NCRPO

BRIG. Gen. Debold Sinas, National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) chief, announced on Friday that they would monitor anew Metro Manila policemen playing golf...

‘NewsHour’ host and debate moderator Jim Lehrer dies at 85

NEW YORK: Jim Lehrer, longtime host of the nightly PBS “NewsHour” whose serious, sober demeanor made him the choice to moderate 11 presidential debates...

Today’s Front Page January 25, 2020

Today’s Front Page January 25, 2020