31.3 C
Manila
Saturday, February 29, 2020
Home News Top Stories New sultan to press claim on Sabah

New sultan to press claim on Sabah

 

DATU Esmail D. S. Kiram, 72, the new sultan of the Sultanate of Sulu and North Borneo (SSNB), who took over the reins from the late Sultan Jamalul Kiram 3rd, vowed to continue the fight to regain Sabah from Malaysia, according to Abraham Idjirani, secretary general and spokesman of the sultanate.

Idjirani said that the new Moro royal leader will be officially known as Sultan Esmail Kiram 2nd.

Kiram 2nd said that he would continue the family’s struggle for peace and economic development, including the fight to reclaim Sabah through peaceful means.


He said the repossession of Sabah through peaceful means has been his stand since he was young.

“Even from the beginning, during the time of my father as Sabah administrator, Sultan Punjungan Kiram, I was the one tasked to go to Sabah,” he added.

He said that they have to fulfill the last decree of the late Sultan to continue the fight to regain Sabah from the Malaysian government.

In February this year, hundreds of followers of the Sultanate of Sulu sailed to the disputed territory to press its claim led by the sultan’s brother, Raja Muda Agbimuddin Kiram.

Kiram 2nd said that he accepts the position of sultan wholeheartedly.

Idjirani said there was no hindrance to the younger Kiram’s succeeding his elder brother because it was assured by the sultanate’s “strict adherence to the law and order of succession.”

“Everybody accepts the law and order of succession in the sultanate,” he said.

He added even the crown prince, Rajah Muda Agbimuddin Kiram, had already made known his stand that he will observe the succession’s law and order.

DoT postpones nationwide mall sale over Covid-19 fears

THE Department of Tourism (DoT) on  Saturday postponed the 2020 Philippine Shopping Festival, a nationwide mall sale due to coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) threat. Tourism...

Bacolod City CIDG chief jailed for robbery-extortion

THE chief of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) in Bacolod City was arrested for robbery-extortion, police reported on Friday. Col. Ronald Lee, chief...

Duterte bans vaping in public places

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte has issued an executive order (EO) against vaping in public and prohibited the manufacture and sale of unregistered and adulterated electronic...

1 dead, 1 hurt at Makati restaurant shooting

A man, identified as Chinese, was shot dead, while another was injured at a restaurant in Makati City on Thursday evening Police identified the fatality...

Local airlines maintain flights to virus-hit South Korea

FLAG carrier Philippine Airlines (PAL) on Thursday said it still maintained the same number of regular flights to and from South Korea despite the...

Today’s Front Page February 29, 2020

Today’s Front Page February 29, 2020