29.5 C
Manila
Thursday, June 4, 2020
 
Home News Top Stories Sulu Sultanate to peacefully negotiate Sabah claim

Sulu Sultanate to peacefully negotiate Sabah claim

 

AFTER its Royal Forces occupied a portion of disputed Sabah that resulted in a standoff, the Sultanate of Sulu and North Borneo on Friday expressed willingness to negotiate with the Malaysian government.

Newly installed Sultan Esmail Kiram 2nd has approved the recommendation of the Advisory Council of the Sultanate to push for a peaceful and civilized resolution of their Sabah claim.

“Today, I have approved the recommendation of the Council to resolve the Sabah issue in a civilized and peaceful manner, which recommendation is also sanctioned by the Ulama Council of Mindanao,” Kiram said in a press briefing.



As an initial step, he directed the chairman of the council to form and create a negotiating panel preparatory to formal negotiations of the territorial dispute between the Sultanate of Sulu and the Federation of Malaysia.

The membership of the panel will be announced by the Sultanate in the next few days.

When asked if a government official will be part of the negotiating panel, the Sultanate said it is no longer necessary since they are claiming a private property not duly owned by the government.

Kiram also ordered the legal panel of the Sultanate and its international legal experts to prepare the legal groundwork and conduct inventory of legal and historical documents to prove its legal and historical rights over Sabah.

He likewise urged the Philippine government to support the case of the Sultanate to be filed before the International Court of Justice and other international tribunals cognizant of the case.

Kiram said the move is only part of the Sultanate’s “New Year’s resolution to repossess Sabah through peaceful means.”

Sultanate Secretary General Abraham Idjirani said “the entire supporters of the sultanate support the sultan’s desire to repossess Sabah.

He likewise expressed hope that President Benigno Aquino 3rd will support the sultanate as the “issue involves the interests of the Philippines, the sultanate, and Malaysia.”

More than 200 Royal Security Force (RSF) members headed by Rajah Muda Agbimuddin Kiram, younger brother of the reigning sultan, occupied a portion of Kampung Tanduo, Lahad Datu in Sabah on February 9 last year.

When they were discovered by Sabah authorities, they were asked to withdraw and return to Tawi-Tawi, Mindanao, but they resisted resulting in a standoff.

A shooting war erupted on March 1, 2013 that led to the launching of an all-out war by the Malaysian Security Forces against the Sultanate’s forces.

The Malaysian government had filed rebellion and terrorism charges against those captured, one of them the son of Sultan, who denied participation in the standoff.

 

LOOK: Protests

Members of different groups stage a protest at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City on Thursday to demand the junking of...

PH records 20,382 Covid cases — DoH

THERE are now 20,382 cases of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) in the country, as 634 more were added on Thursday, the Department of...

House okays bill mandating baseline PCR Covid-19 testing for vulnerable sectors

THE House of Representatives approved on third and final reading a bill mandating the conduct of baseline polymerase chain reaction (PCR) coronavirus disease 2019...

House OKs bill allowing President to defer school opening in state of emergency, calamity

HE House of Representatives on Thursday approved on third and final reading a bill allowing the President to revise the school year in the...

House bill listing ‘standards for better normal’ passed on 2nd reading

THE House of Representatives approved on second reading the "Better Normal for the Workplace, Communities and Public Spaces Act of 2020". House Bill 6864 enumerates "standards...
 

Weather

Today's Front Page