Sunday, February 28, 2021

UP dethrones Tams in UAAP football


Latest Stories

Cuatro dethrones Taduran, wins IBF minimum weight title

Rene Mark Cuatro is the new International Boxing Federation (IBF) minimum weight champion. In an all-Filipino clash, Cuatro beat Pedro...

Abanse Negrense vs Sta. Lucia in PSL beach volley semis

THE Abanse Negrense and Sta. Lucia teams are set to clash in the semifinal round of the Philippine Superliga (PSL)...

PH logs highest number of Covid cases in 4 months

THE Department of Health (DoH) said the Philippines logged 2,921 cases of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) on Saturday,...

Jeremy Lin cries foul over ‘coronavirus’ slur

SAN FRANCISCO: Warriors G League guard Jeremy Lin shared on social media that he experienced an act of racism...

House panel suspends PDEA-PNP shootout probe

THE House Committee on Dangerous Drugs will “temporarily suspend” its investigation into the shootout incident between the Philippine National...

University of the Philippines (UP) dethroned Far Eastern University (FEU) following its 1-0 victory on Thursday in the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) football tournament at the Moro Lorenzo Field.

UP, which ended the elimination round with a six-game winning streak, took the top spot of the standings while back-to-back champion FEU crashed out of contention and finished fifth overall this season.

The Fighting Maroons tested the formidability of the Tamaraws’ defense early in the match with shots coming from JB Borlongan and Ian Clarino.

FEU also inflicted damages on UP’s back-line in the first half.

With time winding down in the initial 45 minutes of action, Kyle scored the only goal of the contest to give his side a 1-0 edge going into the break.

FEU attempted to score an equalizing goal but was unsuccessful until the end of regulation.


The Tamaraws fell short of clinching a seat in the Final Four after falling a point behind University of Santo (UST) with a record of seven wins, three draws and four losses.

Meanwhile, De La Salle University (DLSU) finished its campaign in the opening round of the tournament with a 4-0 rout of the Growling Tigers.

The victory ensured La Salle of a semifinals berth. With a 9-2-3 win-draw-loss card, the team is now occupying the second spot going into the knockout stage.

Team captain Gelo Diamante scored the first goal for DLSU in the 14th minute off a free kick taken by teammate Gerald Layumas.

Diamante was quick on his feet to double his output for the day with another conversion in the 38th minute to give the Green Archers a 2-0 advantage at halftime.

After the break, the Green Archers continued pounding on USTs defense and were rewarded with a goal in the 61st minute courtesy of Jhoguev Ybanez.

The Growling Tigers desperately tried to counter DLSU’s aggressive attacks but were unable to penetrate their foes’ defense.

La Salle’s domination of UST was concluded with a goal by substitute Yoshiharu Koizumi in the 73rd minute from an assist by Jojo Borromeo.

Despite a shaky second round performance, UST will enter the next round at the fourth spot with seven victories, four draws and three defeats.

Ateneo de Manila University completed the cast of the top four squads following its No. 3 seeding off a record of eight wins, one draw and five defeats.




Today's Front Page