Thursday, May 13, 2021
 

Military verifying presence of foreign terrorists in PH

 

Latest Stories

PH logs another drop in new Covid-19 cases at 4,842–DoH

THE Philippines recorded another drop in new cases of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) at 4,842 on Wednesday, the...

Manila to administer Pfizer vaccines to medical frontliners

THE City of Manila will begin its first rollout of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines to the A1 priority group or medical...

80% of 2021 budget released — DBM

Over 80 percent of the 2021 national budget has been released to government agencies, according to the Department of...

Over 95,000 PUVs consolidated under transport modernization program–LTFRB

OVER 95,000 consolidated franchises of public utility vehicles (PUVs) in the country are now under the government's transport modernization...

World could have prevented Covid-19 catastrophe – expert panel

GENEVA: The catastrophic scale of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic could have been prevented, an independent global panel...

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is verifying reports from neighboring countries that foreign Islamic State (IS) terrorists have entered the southern part of the Philippines, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said on Tuesday.

“That is what we have been finding out for now and we are trying to confirm reports that there are foreign terrorists inside the country especially in Mindanao,” Lorenzana said in a news conference after the traditional joint defense and military New Year’s Call at Camp Aguinaldo in Quezon City.

He revealed that Malaysia and Indonesia have been sending reports to the Philippines about the “increase” in foreign terrorists entering the southern back door of the country, including the provinces of Tawi-tawi and Sulu.

“[Our monitoring] is ongoing. We are intensifying our monitoring there in the south and as of now, we cannot confirm the presence of the foreign terrorists. But there are homegrown terrorists there in the south, we are sure of that,” Lorenzana explained.

“We are trying to verify that up to now and for now, we cannot confirm it yet. Our intelligence gathering has been continuous,” he added.

The Defense chief came up with the statement months after he disclosed that the government was closely monitoring returning IS fighters from Iraq and Syria and preparing for the arrests of the terrorists.

 

During the Association of Southeast Asian Nations Defense Ministers’ Meeting in October, Lorenzana confirmed he had received a list of names of terrorists who went to the Middle East.

But Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez Jr., commander of the AFP’s Western Mindanao Command (WestMinCom), downplayed the possibility of foreign terrorists entering the country.

“I think they have already seen the result of the Marawi siege. So, it’s a stern warning for them not to go here,” Galvez told reporters in a separate interview.

Galvez’s area of command, WestMinCom, was the lead unit in the fight with the IS-linked Maute terrorists in Marawi City, which lasted for five months last year.

It resulted in the deaths of more than 1,000 people, including terrorists, soldiers and civilians.


 
 

Weather

Today's Front Page

TRY OUR DIGITAL EDITION
FREE FOR 30 DAYS

ALREADY A SUBSCRIBER?