26.8 C
Manila
Friday, January 24, 2020
Home News Nation DoH records 1,400 new measles cases

DoH records 1,400 new measles cases

 

The Department of Health (DoH) has yet to lift the measles outbreak status of five regions, as it validated 1,406 new measles cases in these areas from March 31 to April 5, 2019.

Health Undersecretary Rolando Domingo previously said the department must record no new cases for about six consecutive weeks in Metro
Manila, Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon) Central Luzon, Central Visayas and Western Visayas to say that the epidemic was completely under control.

The recent figure brings the total number of the avoidable and vaccine-preventable illness to 28,362 cases, with 389 deaths since January 1 of this year. This number is 78 percent higher than the 6,053, with 53 deaths reported in the same period in 2018.

Of the total number of cases, 58 percent or 16,534 were unvaccinated. Of the total fatalities, 79 percent or 306 were unvaccinated.

Metro Manila had the highest number with 5,749 cases, with 104 deaths, while Calabarzon recorded the most number of deaths, with 107 in its 5,450 cases.


In Luzon, Central Luzon had 4,633 cases and 64 deaths, followed by Ilocos Region, with 1,225 cases and 12 deaths; Mimaropa (Mindoro,
Marinduque, Romblon and Palawan), with 1,197 cases with 10 deaths; Bicol Region, with 838 cases and seven deaths; Cordillera Administrative Region, with 456 cases and one death; and Cagayan Valley, with 415 cases and two deaths.

Meanwhile, Western Visayas had 1,696 cases, with seven deaths, followed by Central Visayas with 1,395 cases and 10 deaths, and Eastern Visayas, with 1,133 cases and 25 deaths.

In Mindanao, Northern Mindanao recorded 1,396 cases and 10 deaths, followed by Caraga Region, with 737 cases and eight deaths; Davao
Region, with 625 cases and 11 deaths; Soccsksargen (South Cotabato, Cotabato Province, Sultan Kudarat, Sarangani and General Santos), with 565 and four deaths; Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao, with 500 cases and six deaths; and Zamboanga Peninsula, with 343 cases and one death.

The age group that remains to be the most affected is 1 to 4 years old.

Bataan is still the only measles-free province in the country, according to the data.

The DoH has immunized 3,783,985 children aged six to 59 months after it intensified efforts to contain the outbreak in five regions.

‘NewsHour’ host and debate moderator Jim Lehrer dies at 85

NEW YORK: Jim Lehrer, longtime host of the nightly PBS “NewsHour” whose serious, sober demeanor made him the choice to moderate 11 presidential debates...

Duterte threatens to end PH-US deal over visa cancellation of allied senator

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday threatened to terminate the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) between the Philippines and the United States (US) if Washington does...

Duterte okays probe of Ayala-UP technohub deal

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte has given the green light for the review of the lease contract between the Ayala Group and the University of the...

SWS: Filipino families who considered themselves poor up in Q4 of 2019

MORE Filipino families, especially in Metro Manila, considered themselves poor in the last quarter of 2019, according to the latest Social Weather Stations (SWS)...

‘High’ probability of Taal eruption remains despite weakened state — Phivolcs

THE Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said on Thursday that there was still a “high” probability of a “hazardous eruption” by Taal...

Today’s Front Page January 24, 2020

Today’s Front Page January 24, 2020