SEVEN Filipinos are missing after their fishing vessel capsized off the coast of Brunei, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said on Monday.
The DFA, through the Philippine embassy in Brunei, is monitoring developments after the Brunei-flagged fishing vessel, Radims 2, sank with 11 crew members, seven of whom were Filipinos, the DFA said in a statement. They have not been identified.
Ambassador to Brunei Christopher Montero said that the embassy was coordinating with Brunei authorities for updates on their joint search and rescue operations with Malaysia.
Operations were halted as no crew member in the identified search area, other than the two previously rescued, were found.
According to the embassy’s Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO), the last communication between the owner of Radims 2 and its captain was on August 7.
Since then, Brunei’s National Search and Rescue Coordination Committee has sought assistance from the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency in locating the missing crew members. BERNADETTE E. TAMAYO