MALACAÑANG on Tuesday urged Filipinos to avoid visiting Hong Kong for now amid ongoing unrest there.
Palace spokesman Salvador Panelo made the advice as airport protests continued to disrupt flights in and out of Hong Kong.
“‘Yung (The) travel ban, siguro (perhaps) with respect kung gusto mong pumunta ngayon sa (if you want to go to) Hong Kong, this is not the right time to go there kasi ‘yung flight mo biglang naka-cancel (because your flight will be cancelled),” Panelo said during a press conference.
“Eh ‘di avoid muna going there (So you should avoid going there for now). That’s the advice. Kasi (Because) you’re not sure whether you’re going to reach Hong Kong in the first place,” he added.
Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello 3rd said previously that the government continued to monitor and evaluate the situation in the special administrative region of China city to determine if a deployment ban was called for.
There are more than 400,000 documented Filipino workers in Hong Kong, according to the Labor department.
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) previously issued alert levels to evaluate any threats in certain locations.
Anti-government activists have launched street protests to denounce a bill that would have allowed extradition from Hong Kong to mainland China.
The protests recently escalated to demand the resignation of the leader of the semi-autonomous Chinese city.
The general strike had also led to the cancellation of several flights and disruption of subway service. CATHERINE S. VALENTE