Home News World Pentagon cancels billion-dollar missile defense project

Pentagon cancels billion-dollar missile defense project

WASHINGTON, D. C.: The Pentagon is pulling the plug on a billion-dollar, technically troubled project to build a better weapon that would destroy incoming missiles.

The move is aimed in part at considering new approaches to missile defense at a time of rapid technological change.

The announced reason for canceling the Boeing contract, effective Thursday, was that the project’s design problems were so significant as to be either insurmountable or too costly to correct.

Beyond those immediate concerns, the Pentagon is considering whether it needs to start over with designing a defense against intercontinental-range ballistic missiles, such as those North Korea aspires to build, as well as newly emerging types of missiles.

One indication of that broader concern is the Pentagon’s statement that it will now invite industry competition to develop a “new, next-generation interceptor” — potentially a weapon that could take on hypersonic missiles being developed by China and Russia.


The Pentagon currently has 44 missile interceptors based mostly in Alaska. Each is designed to be launched from an underground silo, soar beyond the Earth’s atmosphere and release a “kill vehicle” — a device that steers into its target and destroys it by force of collision.

These weapons have been tested but never used in actual combat. It is that “kill vehicle” device that the Pentagon had asked Boeing to redesign so that it could be more reliable against the kind of long-range missiles that North Korea has said it is building to target the US.

The Pentagon had spent nearly $1.2 billion on the project when Michael Griffin, the undersecretary of defense for research and engineering, decided last week to end it.

In May he had ordered Boeing to stop its work, pending a decision on a way forward. “Ending the program was the responsible thing to do,” Griffin said in a statement Wednesday.

“Development programs sometimes encounter problems. After exercising due diligence, we decided the path we’re going down wouldn’t be fruitful, so we’re not going down that path anymore.”

Mark Wright, a spokesman for the Pentagon’s Missile Defense Agency, said details about the technical problems that led to the project’s termination would not be released “due to the classified nature of the program.”

Boeing said in a statement that it accepts the decision and supports the competition for a new missile interceptor. Michael Doble, a spokesman for Raytheon Co., which is a subcontractor, said the Pentagon is “updating its requirements in the face of an increasingly complex threat environment.” He said Raytheon backs the decision to end the contract.

AP

Bono launches drone delivery service for blood, medicines

IT took him 42 years to come to this side of the world, but the wait was worth it as he has brought good...

PH shooting team cops third gold

THE country’s shooting team copped its third gold in the 30th Southeast Asian Games shooting competition on Tuesday at the Ilalin Forest, Subic. The trio...

Duterte won’t extend martial law in Mindanao

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte will not extend martial law in Mindanao when it expires this month. "The Commander-in-Chief made the decision following the assessment of his...

Two impeachment articles expected against Trump

WASHINGTON, D.C.: Democrats are expected to announce on Tuesday two articles of impeachment against Donald Trump, US media reported Monday evening, after laying out...

NZ police opening criminal probe of deaths at volcano island

WHAKATANE, New Zealand: New Zealand police said Tuesday they were opening a criminal investigation into the deaths of tourists on a volcanic island. Five deaths...

Today’s Front Page December 10, 2019

Today’s Front Page December 10, 2019