Home News Top Stories President to drop Fujian visit

President to drop Fujian visit

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte will no longer visit Fujian province to inaugurate the school building there built in honor of his mother as his trip to Beijing has been cut short, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said on Friday.

In a pre-departure briefing on the President’s official visit to China, Foreign Assistant Secretary Meynardo Montealegre said the President’s Fujian visit had been postponed to a “more appropriate time.”

“It’s postponed… It’s not appropriate at this time… It was just postponed for a more appropriate time in the future,” Montealegre told reporters.

Duterte had announced he would visit Fujian to attend the inauguration of a school named after his mother, Soledad.

Chief of Presidential Protocol Robert Borje said the decision to postpone the visit to Fujian was more of a logistical issue.


“Sometimes the window shortens for reasons that are maybe logistical in nature, sometimes it’s substantive, sometimes it’s also due to domestic issues,” Borje said during the same Palace news briefing.

“But for this particular visit, there was a plan and then the recommendation now is to move it at a later date because it’s more appropriate to be done at a later date and not at this particular time,” he added.

The President, who will arrive in Beijing on August 28, will hold a bilateral meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping the next day, where he promised to bring up the arbitral award regarding a dispute between the Philippines and China in the South China (West Philippine) Sea.

The arbitral award largely favored Manila over Beijing.

Montealegre said Duterte and Xi were set to sign agreements covering education, science and technology, and economic and social development.

“Both leaders will also witness the signing of a number of cooperative bilateral documents and memorandum of understanding, which are all aimed to further increase the breadth and depth of our cooperation between the Philippines and China,” he added.

The DFA official said Duterte was looking forward to his fifth bilateral meeting with Xi, and to discussing issues of mutual interest with his counterpart.

“President Duterte looks forward to exchanging views with President Xi on how to accelerate the pace of our functional cooperation in terms of concrete projects, as well as on issues of mutual interest to both countries,” Montealegre added.

“This will be the fifth visit of the President to China. In Beijing, the President will hold a bilateral meeting with President Xi Jinping to discuss the accomplishments, as well as the shared goals of the Philippines and China under our Comprehensive Strategic Cooperation,” he said.

Duterte earlier announced that he would be flying to Beijing to finally raise the arbitral ruling that was handed down in The Hague with Xi.
Montealegre said it would be up to the President on how to bring the issue up.

He added that the DFA was not aware if anyone was trying to stop the President from talking about the landmark decision during the China visit.

“I think that’s the President’s prerogative to discuss the particular issue. At the same time, he already made pronouncement on this particular matter. So, it’s the President’s call to discuss this specific issue,” Montealegre said.

According to him, Duterte would also pay a courtesy call to Chinese Vice President Wang Qishan.

“The President and Vice President Wang are expected to discuss ways to increase trade and investment and deepen the friendship between our countries,” he said.

Montealegre added that Duterte would also cheer for Gilas Pilipinas that would battle Italy in the FIBA World Cup set in Guangzhou province on August 31.
The President will be accompanied by Wang to watch the game.

His fifth visit to China is scheduled from August 28 to September 1.

Star City closed for the holidays — management

THE Star City Management on Friday announced that the theme park would remain closed this Christmas. In a Facebook post, the management appealed to the...

Broadcast journalist Cesar Apolinario signs off at 46

BROADCAST journalist and film director Cesar Apolinario died on Friday. He was 46. The journalist’s last post on his Instagram page showed him in hospital...

6 examinees pass the Dental Technologist Licensure exams

The Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) announces that 6 out of 76 passed the Dental Technologist Licensure Examination given by the Board of Dentistry in...

Food poisoning downs 49 students at Christmas party in Negros

BACOLOD CITY-- A total of 49 Grade 1 students of Ma-ao Elementary School, and their parents have been hospitalized for alleged food poisoning. A report...

P10M of smuggled Peking duck seized in Manila

THE Manila Veterinary Inspection Board presented to Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso early Friday morning P10 million worth of peking duck that was...

Today’s Front Page December 13, 2019

Today’s Front Page December 13, 2019