27.5 C
Manila
Monday, January 20, 2020
Home Public Square Tugade inspects LRT-1 Cavite extension project

Tugade inspects LRT-1 Cavite extension project

 

Sec. Arthur Tugade (fourth from left) of the Department of Transportation visits Bacoor Cavite Mayor Lani Mercado (third from left) and discusses the development of the LRT-1 Cavite Extension with his staff.

Since its actual construction works started in April after 19 years of delay, the long-promised LRT-1 Cavite Extension is now at 20 percent completion rate as of August 2019.

Ongoing works include Civil Works and Electromechanical Systems (E&M) components, manufacturing of procured Light Rail Vehicles, the expansion of Baclaran Depot, and the construction of the new Zapote Depot.

This 11.7-kilometer rail extension line is eyed for partial operations for the first five stations (Redemptorist, MIA, Asiaworld, Ninoy Aquino, and Dr. Santos) by the fourth quarter of 2021.

The Cavite extension will be linked to the existing line south of Baclaran Station, and will run all the way to Niog in Bacoor, Cavite.


It is expected to cut travel time between Baclaran and Cavite from one to two hours down to just 25 minutes. It is also poised to double the current LRT-1 passenger capacity from 400,000 to 800,000 by the time it is completed.

98% of residents in Taal’s danger zone evacuated 

Interior Secretary Eduardo Año said on Monday that 98% of the residents in villages within the 14-kilometer danger zone of Taal Volcano had been...

Motorcycle taxi pilot test halted

The Department of Transportation's technical working group (TWG) on motorcycle taxis halted the pilot test of the project amid legal hindrances, its head said...

Liquid marijuana seized in various warehouses at NAIA

Customs authorities seized on Monday 330 cartridges of liquid marijuana in different warehouses at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA). Port of NAIA district collector...

China counts sharp rise in coronavirus cases, 2 in Beijing

BEIJING (AP) — China reported Monday a sharp rise in the number of people infected with a new coronavirus, including the first cases in...

Prince Harry: ‘No other option’ but to cut royal ties

LONDON (AP) — Prince Harry said Sunday that he felt “great sadness” but found “no other option” to cutting almost all of his and...