32 C
Manila
Wednesday, April 1, 2020
Home News World US marks 9/11 terror attack

US marks 9/11 terror attack

NEW YORK: Americans are commemorating 9/11 with mournful ceremonies, volunteering, appeals to “never forget” and rising attention to the terror attacks’ extended toll on responders.

A crowd of victims’ relatives is expected at ground zero Wednesday, while President Donald Trump is scheduled to join an observance at the Pentagon. Vice President Mike Pence is to speak at the third attack site, near Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

Former president George W. Bush, the commander in chief at the time of the 2001 attacks, is due at an afternoon wreath-laying at the Pentagon.


In this Sept. 11, 2001 (file photo) smoke rises from the burning twin towers of the World Trade Center after hijacked planes crashed into the towers in New York City. AP Photo

Eighteen years after the deadliest terrorist attack on American soil, the nation is still grappling with the aftermath at ground zero, in Congress and beyond. The attacks’ aftermath is visible from airport security checkpoints to Afghanistan.

A rocket exploded at the US embassy as the anniversary began in Afghanistan, where a post-9/11 invasion has become America’s longest war.

“People say, ‘Why do you stand here, year after year?’” Chundera Epps, a sister of September 11 victim Christopher Epps, said at last year’s ceremony at the World Trade Center. “Because soldiers are still dying for our freedom. First responders are still dying and being ill.”

AP

PNP Chief Gamboa tests negative for Covid-19

PHILIPPINE National Police (PNP) Chief Archie Francisco Gamboa tested negative for the novel coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19). BGen. Bernard Banac, PNP spokesman, told The Manila...

LGU passes not necessary in checkpoints — Eleazar

QUARANTINE passes from the local government units (LGUs) are not necessary in passing through the checkpoints, the Philippine National Police (PNP) clarified on Wednesday.According...

Move over ‘social distancing’, it’s ‘physical distancing’, says WHO

THE World Health Organization (WHO) has advised the public against the use of the term “social distancing” to refer to separation from each other...

Año positive for coronavirus

INTERIOR Secretary Eduardo Año tested positive for the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19), he himself announced on Tuesday. Año said he received confirmation on his test...

Bongbong Marcos tests positive for Covid-19

FORMER Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. tested positive for the coronavirus disease 2019 or Covid-19 but assured the public that he has followed government-issued...

Today's Front Page