THE Boracay Dragonforce will pull out from the Kaohsiung City Cup International Dragon Boat competition in Taiwan from November 8 to 10 after seven, not eight as reported previously, drowned amid strong waves that hit their boat during training in the popular island resort, its manager, Thomas Muller, said on Thursday.
“Yes that’s what we’ll do,” Muller told The Manila Times in a phone interview on Thursday when asked if the team had decided to pull out of the event.
Fourteen of the 21 paddlers were rescued, including team leader Von Navarrosa, whom the police in Kalibo, Aklan initially counted as among the dead.
Navarrosa and 13 members of the team are recuperating in various hospitals in the province.
Muller also asked for donations to help relatives of the victims, which he posted on his Facebook page.
Philippine Canoe Kayak and Dragon Boat Federation (PCKDBF) President Jonne Go condoled with the family of the seven victims.
“It is a sad loss for the sport,” said Go in a statement. “I extend my condolences to their families.”
Go and PCKDBF officials will fly to Boracay on Friday.
“They were friends of ours and the Boracay team are club members.”