25.2 C
Manila
Thursday, January 23, 2020
Home Sports Motor Sports Racer Correa undergoes 17-hour operation

Racer Correa undergoes 17-hour operation

 

PARIS: American racing driver Juan Manuel Correa, who suffered multiple injuries in the Formula 2 Grand Prix accident that killed Anthoine Hubert at Spa in late August, has undergone a 17-hour operation and admitted he has faced his “toughest weeks.”

The 20-year-old had the marathon surgery in a London hospital with his entourage describing the operation as “a success.”

“After 17 hours in the operating room on Sunday, he came out with an encouraging prognosis from doctors, who felt that the surgery had been successful,” said a statement.

Correa said he was prepared for further battles in his recovery.

“This past few weeks have been extremely tough, tougher than anything I have ever faced both physically and mentally,” he said in a statement released by F2 organizers.


“I understand my future regarding the recovery of my legs, specifically my right leg is still quite uncertain, and that my physical rehab will be extremely long and complicated.

“I am still processing everything that has, and is, happening.”

Correa will remain in hospital in London and is scheduled to undergo another operation, “less complex, in two weeks,” said one of his entourage.
“The doctors estimate that he will be able to leave in approximately six weeks,” a statement said.

The coming year will be devoted to rehabilitation and other surgical procedures “with the goal to regain the full use of his right foot and ankle.”

Correa broke both his legs and suffered spinal injuries before being placed in an induced coma after the accident at Spa on August 31.

The Quito-born racer was traveling at 170 mph (270 kph) when he collided with Hubert’s car.

Hubert, 20, died at the circuit 90 minutes after the race. AFP

US cancels de la Rosa’s visa

SEN. Ronald "Bato" dela Rosa on Wednesday confirmed that the United States had canceled his visa. The senator said he wrote to the US Embassy in...

Lawyers press release of Huawei exec facing extradition to US

VANCOUVER: Lawyers for a senior Chinese telecoms executive seeking to avoid extradition to the United States pressed on Tuesday for her release while stepping...

North Korea to ban tourists over China virus

SEOUL: North Korea will ban foreign tourists to protect itself against a new SARS-like virus that has claimed at least nine lives in China...

Any constitutional amendment must be for the good of the people

SEN. Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go said that he would only support constitutional amendments if these changes are for the good of the Filipino people. "The...

5 in 10 Pinoys expect Duterte to deliver most of his promises – SWS

More than half of Filipinos believe that President Rodrigo Duterte will fulfill most, if not all, of his campaign promises, according to the latest...

Today’s Front Page January 23, 2020

Today’s Front Page January 23, 2020