26.1 C
Manila
Saturday, January 25, 2020
Home Sports Football Times Tottenham confirms Lloris out for rest of the year

Tottenham confirms Lloris out for rest of the year

 

LONDON: Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Hugo Lloris will be sidelined for the rest of the year after suffering a dislocated elbow in a dismal defeat at Brighton on Saturday (Sunday in Manila).

Lloris was stretchered from the field screaming in pain after dropping a cross before falling backwards and landing badly as he conceded Brighton’s opening goal at the Amex.

“Hugo Lloris has undergone further assessment this morning after sustaining a dislocated elbow in our match against Brighton on Saturday,” Tottenham said in a statement on Monday.

Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Hugo Lloris AFP PHOTO

“The findings have shown that although surgery will not be required, our club captain has suffered ligament damage and is not expected to return to training before the end of 2019.


“Hugo is currently in a brace and will now undergo a period of rest and rehabilitation under the supervision of our medical staff at Hotspur Way.”

The news is another hammer blow to Tottenham’s hopes of turning around a poor start to the season.

Mauricio Pochettino’s men have won just three of their opening 11 games in all competitions and were thrashed 7-2 at home by Bayern Munich in the Champions League last week.

Argentine stopper Paulo Gazzaniga will now assume the role of Pochettino’s first-choice goalkeeper for the forseeable future.

Lloris will also miss Euro 2020 qualifiers for France against Iceland, Turkey, Albania and Moldova.

“It is difficult to say exactly how long he will not be available,” said France boss Didier Deschamps on Monday.

“What matters to us right now is that he will not be with us for this round of games or for the next.”

AFP

Sara Duterte in US for leadership program vs terrorism

AS President Rodrigo Duterte continued his tirades against the United States (US), his daughter and Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte is in Washington D.C....

Duterte: Let time deal with PH-China sea row

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte said it would be prudent to let "time" deal with the country's territorial row with China than pursuing a "very dangerous"...

2,188 vape stores closed in Metro Manila — NCRPO

A total of 2,188 vape stores in Metro Manila have been closed since the implementation of the vape ban, the National Capital Region Police...

Metro Manila police playing golf to be monitored anew — NCRPO

BRIG. Gen. Debold Sinas, National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) chief, announced on Friday that they would monitor anew Metro Manila policemen playing golf...

‘NewsHour’ host and debate moderator Jim Lehrer dies at 85

NEW YORK: Jim Lehrer, longtime host of the nightly PBS “NewsHour” whose serious, sober demeanor made him the choice to moderate 11 presidential debates...

Today’s Front Page January 25, 2020

Today’s Front Page January 25, 2020