25.8 C
Manila
Friday, April 3, 2020
Home News World Chinese media slam NBA team for HK tweet

Chinese media slam NBA team for HK tweet

SHANGHAI: Chinese state media slammed the NBA for an “about-face” after the body said it would not apologize for a tweet by the Houston Rockets general manager supporting pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong.

The US league has drawn fire for from Chinese broadcasters, sponsors and social media after Daryl Morey tweeted a message Friday saying “Fight for freedom. Stand with Hong Kong.”

After the NBA called Morey’s tweet “inappropriate” in a statement on Chinese social media platform Weibo, league commissioner Adam Silver insisted at a press conference in Tokyo on Tuesday that the league would not apologize and would “support freedom of expression.”


In an editorial, the state-run China Daily accused the NBA of a U-turn and said Silver’s remarks showed the league’s earlier “honey-mouthed” statements had been “nothing but an attempt to prevent the hemorrhaging of profits made in China.”

It added that “Silver’s about face, which will definitely give a shot to the arms of the rioters in Hong Kong, shows his organization is willing to be another handy tool for US interference in the special administrative region.”

Beijing has often accused foreign forces of fuelling the unrest in Hong Kong.

An editorial in the nationalistic Global Times also blasted the NBA for bowing to “political correctness in the US,” saying there was now “little room for reconciliation” as the issue had escalated into a clash of values between China and the US.

Silver “will only offend more people no matter what he tries to say,” the tabloid said.

The NBA commissioner said he hoped to discuss the situation with Chinese officials in Shanghai, where the Brooklyn Nets and Los Angeles Lakers are set to play an exhibition game on Thursday.

AFP

Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of Covid-19

BEIRUT: The Philippines' ambassador to Lebanon died of coronavirus Thursday, a statement said, one of only 16 recorded deaths in the country since the...

Extremists see global chaos from virus as an opportunity

JOHANNESBURG: Both the Islamic State group and al-Qaida see the coronavirus as a threat, but some of their fighters also see the upheaval from...

Trump resists national shutdown, leaving it up to states

WASHINGTON, D.C.: President Donald Trump is resisting calls to issue a national stay-at-home order to stem the spread of the new coronavirus despite his...

Martial law not an option — Palace

Placing Luzon under martial law is not an option for the government to maintain public order, a Palace official said on Thursday, after President...

Sotto to NBI: We complied

Pasig City Mayor Victor Maria “Vico” Sotto on Wednesday hit the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) for ordering him allegedly violating the Bayanihan to...

Today's Front Page