34.1 C
Manila
Wednesday, April 1, 2020
Home News Latest Stories 7 Filipinos held for spurious travel documents at NAIA

7 Filipinos held for spurious travel documents at NAIA

SEVEN Filipinos were barred from leaving the country for possession of spurious travel documents, the Bureau of Immigration (BI) said on Friday.

BI Commissioner Jaime Morente said the seven were suspected victims of human trafficking after they admitted paying the recruiters in exchange for jobs abroad.

The seven, who were not identified, were intercepted in three separate instances at Terminals 1 and 3 of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).


The five passengers pretended to be tourists attempting to leave for Malaysia last October 5 at NAIA Terminal 3.

Immigration port operations division chief Grifton Medina said the five passengers admitted paying their recruiters fees ranging from P125,000 to P175,000 each in exchange for processing their jobs and travel papers to Australia, which was their final destination.

The passengers were reportedly accompanied by a woman who was also stopped over pending cases of estafa and illegal recruitment.

“They also presented fraudulently manufactured employee IDs which were given to them by their handlers to make it appear that they are gainfully employed here and are thus legitimate tourists,” Medina said.

The BI’s travel control and enforcement unit (TCEU) reported that a Malaysia-bound woman was intercepted also at NAIA 3 on September 24 for having a spurious United Kingdom visa and tampered pages on her passport.

The TCEU also discovered that the woman was previously barred from leaving the country on suspicion of being a tourist worker.

TCEU members on October 2 also stopped from leaving an underage overseas Filipino worker who misrepresented her age by falsifying her date of birth.

All seven passengers were turned over to the Inter-Agency Council Against Trafficking (IACAT) for assistance and further investigation. BENJAMIN L. VERGARA 

 

PNP Chief Gamboa tests negative for Covid-19

PHILIPPINE National Police (PNP) Chief Archie Francisco Gamboa tested negative for the novel coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19). BGen. Bernard Banac, PNP spokesman, told The Manila...

LGU passes not necessary in checkpoints — Eleazar

QUARANTINE passes from the local government units (LGUs) are not necessary in passing through the checkpoints, the Philippine National Police (PNP) clarified on Wednesday.According...

Move over ‘social distancing’, it’s ‘physical distancing’, says WHO

THE World Health Organization (WHO) has advised the public against the use of the term “social distancing” to refer to separation from each other...

Año positive for coronavirus

INTERIOR Secretary Eduardo Año tested positive for the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19), he himself announced on Tuesday. Año said he received confirmation on his test...

Bongbong Marcos tests positive for Covid-19

FORMER Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. tested positive for the coronavirus disease 2019 or Covid-19 but assured the public that he has followed government-issued...

Today's Front Page