30.9 C
Manila
Saturday, March 28, 2020
Home News World Turkey starts Syria assault, 16 killed

Turkey starts Syria assault, 16 killed

RAS AL AIN, Syria: Turkey launched a broad assault on Kurdish-controlled areas in northeastern Syria on Wednesday (Thursday in Manila), with intensive bombardment followed by a ground offensive made possible by the withdrawal of US troops.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced the start of the attack on Twitter and soon after jets and artillery targeted Kurdish positions along the full width of the border, sending thousands of civilians fleeing their homes.

That was followed late in the evening by the beginning of a ground operation, the Turkish defence ministry said.


The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) said 16 members of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) militia were killed in the early hours of the Turkish offensive.

Both the SOHR and SDF reported heavy clashes near the city of Tel Abad.

WAR Civilians flee with their belongings amid Turkish bombardment on Syria’s northeastern town of Ras al-Ain in the Hasakeh province along the Turkish border. At least 16 Kurdish militias have been killed in the bombings. AFP PHOTO

Turkey’s defense ministry said on Twitter that its forces had struck 181 Kurdish “terror group” targets so far.

The spokesman for one of the pro-Turkish Syrian militant groups told Agence France-Presse (AFP) the land phase of the operation began in Tal Abad, and Turkish media reported special forces and armoured vehicles had entered at several points along the border.

The assault had seemed inevitable since US President Donald Trump on Sunday announced a military pullback from the border, but the attack triggered international condemnation and an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council set for Thursday.

The Arab League announced late Wednesday it was convening an emergency meeting in Cairo on October 12 to discuss the situation.

The US withdrawal smashed its alliance with the Kurdish forces who spearheaded five years of ground battles against the Islamic State group in Syria.

Trump warned Wednesday that if the Turkish operation is not conducted “in as humane a way as possible,” he would “wipe out” the country’s economy.”

NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg urged Turkey to show “restraint” in its operation against Kurdish forces in Syria, warning that the fight against the Islamic State group should not be put at risk.

The SDF called on the international community to impose a no-fly zone to protect against “an imminent humanitarian crisis.”

Erdogan, who dubbed the attack “Operation Peace Spring,” says the offensive is necessary to curb the power of the SDF due to its ties with Kurdish insurgents inside Turkey.

He also wants a “safe zone” on the Syrian side of the border where Turkey could send back some of the 3.6 million refugees it hosts from the eight-year civil war.

In the face of the onslaught, Kurdish authorities announced a general mobilisation, urging all civilians to “head to the border with Turkey… to resist during this delicate historical moment.”

Kurdish leaders said they would hold their erstwhile US ally and the whole international community responsible for any “humanitarian catastrophe.’’

In Ras al-Ain, Kurdish-led security forces set up checkpoints and stockpiled tyres to set alight to blur the vision of Turkish military pilots, an AFP correspondent reported.

Ras al-Ain was one of the places from which US troops withdrew on Monday.

“We will not leave this land,” said Kaws Seem, a 32-year-old Ras al-Ain resident. “War has been chasing us for years, and everyday Erdogan threatens us with a new attack,” he added.

It was expected that Ras al-Ain and Tal Abad would be the focus of the first assaults.

Kurdish forces have dug trenches and tunnels in both areas, covering streets with metal canopies to block the cameras of Turkish drones.

But the flat and open terrain favour the vastly superior Turkish military over the Kurds, who have no air force and limited equipment.

The Kurdish-led SDF say they lost 11,000 personnel in years of operations against IS that climaxed in March with a battle against the final bastion of the jihadists’ caliphate in Baghouz.

AFP

Laguna under total lockdown

THE Laguna provincial government announced on Saturday that it was now under total lockdown due to the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Gov....

PH Covid-19 cases breach 1,000 mark, death toll rises to 68

THE number of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases breached the 1,000 mark, with 272 new infections and 68 deaths, the Department of Health (DoH)...

Lacson urges Covid-19 patients to come out

A lawmaker has appealed to Filipinos who were directly exposed and symptomatic of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) to voluntarily and publicly declare their...

PNP assures unhampered passage of food, commodities

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has assured that it would not block the passage of all deliveries of foods and commodities, according to its...

Iza Calzado tests positive for Covid-19 but in recovery, says manager

JUST three days after Iza Calzado posted on Instagram that she has been confined in a hospital due to pneumonia, her manager Noel Ferrer...

Today's Front Page