23.7 C
Manila
Saturday, February 22, 2020
Home News World Rakhine rebels abduct dozens after storming Myanmar bus

Rakhine rebels abduct dozens after storming Myanmar bus

 

YANGON: Suspected ethnic Rakhine rebels disguised as a sports team stormed a bus in rural Myanmar and took 31 hostages — mostly off-duty firefighters and construction workers — authorities said Sunday.

The state-backed Global New Light of Myanmar said the bus — travelling to the Rakhine state capital of Sittwe — was flagged down by a man dressed in civilian attire before 18 rebels in sportswear emerged from the forest and ordered the passengers off at gunpoint.

“We are still following them,” Colonel Win Zaw Oo told Agence France-Presse, adding the insurgents may have mistaken the firemen for members of the armed forces.


The Arakan Army, which is fighting for more autonomy for ethnic Rakhine Buddhists, could not immediately be reached for comment.

Myanmar’s army has deployed thousands of troops to the state to try to crush the rebels.

Rights groups say Myanmar’s military has abducted civilians and tortured detainees, but the army points to targeted shootings, roadside bombings and kidnapping by insurgents.

Rakhine state was also the site of a deadly crackdown that in August 2017 drove some 740,000 minority Rohingya Muslims into Bangladesh.

A UN fact-finding mission warned in a report published last month that some 600,000 Rohingya remaining in Myanmar still face a “serious risk of genocide.”

The area on the Bay of Bengal is highly militarized and difficult for independent media and rights monitors to access.

AFP

Sandiganbayan Justice Reynaldo Cruz, 64

Sandiganbayan Associate Justice Reynaldo Cruz passed away on Friday. He was 64 years old. “Yes, Justice Reynaldo Cruz died late this afternoon of pneumonia,” Sandiganbayan...

Palace: Govt approves repatriation plan for Filipinos aboard virus-hit ship

THE Philippine government has approved the repatriation plan for Filipinos onboard a coronavirus-infected cruise ship in Japan, Malacañang announced on Friday. Palace spokesman Salvador Panelo...

‘Punching’ scene mars Matteo-Sarah civil wedding

A private security guard hired by the family of actress-singer Sarah Geronimo reported to Taguig City police before dawn on Friday that he was...

DoJ takes ‘pastillas’ whistleblower into custody

THE Department of Justice (DoJ) has taken custody of the whistleblower in the controversial “pastillas” scam perpetrated by immigration officers at the Ninoy Aquino...

Palace: Morente not off hook in ‘pastillas’ scheme

IMMIGRATION Commissioner Jaime Morente is not off the hook, Malacañang said on Friday, even after President Rodrigo Duterte vouched for the integrity of the...

Today’s Front Page February 22, 2020

Today’s Front Page February 22, 2020