SM Foundation Inc. (SMFI) renovated the Edwin Andrews Air Base Hospital in Zamboanga City qualifying it for level 1 accreditation from the Department of Health (DoH).
The 29-bed capacity hospital currently operates as an infirmary catering to the needs of around 3,900 uniformed personnel and their dependents, including authorized civilians within its area of responsibility. The hospital also provides medical care and aero medical services to its stakeholders in Zamboanga, Basilan, and Tawi-Tawi.
SMFI improved the hospital’s pharmacy, OR/DR complex, emergency room, laboratory, rehabilitation section, X-ray room, out-patient department, military ward, dependents’ ward, and isolation room. It also equipped a waiting lounge, breastfeeding room, and a Mobile Read and Play Station for children confined in the hospital.
The medical facility was established in 1950 under the operational control of Sulu Air Task Group stationed in Baliwasan Moret during the height of a military offensive against the outlaw group of Hadji Kamlon. In 1955, the dispensary was transferred to Santa Maria District and was renamed Edwin Andrews Air Base with the construction of a new medical wing. In 1961, it was upgraded into a medical dispensary to cater to the growing PAF personnel in the area. Today, it is home to the Tactical Operation Command with five tactical operations group, three tactical operations squadron and four tenants.
Camp Edwin Andrews Airbase Hospital is SM Foundation’s 34tth improved military health facility and the 157th wellness center.