31.6 C
Manila
Wednesday, September 30, 2020
 
Home News Nation 1.5M drug suspects accounted for – PNP

1.5M drug suspects accounted for – PNP

 

ABOUT 1.5 million drug suspects have been accounted for in the first three years of
President Rodrigo Duterte’s war on drugs, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said on Wednesday.

Brig. Gen. Bernard Banac

PNP spokesman Brig. Gen. Bernard Banac confirmed to The Manila Times that the drug users surrendered voluntarily to the PNP.

 

Banac’s statement came after Lt. Gen. Archie Gamboa, PNP officer in charge, described the war on drugs as “sucessful.”

Maj. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar, PNP chief of directorial staff, said the drug war should continue as Filipinos now felt “safer,” citing the 60-percent drop in crimes nationwide.

“It is because of the campaign against illegal drugs. It really caused the improvement on peace and order in the country and the safety of the people,” said Eleazar in a television interview on Wednesday.

Based on PNP data from July 2016 to July 2019, 6,600 drug suspects were killed in anti-illegal drug operations and 256, 227 had been arrested.

In Metro Manila, 1,896 drug suspects were killed from 2016 to 2019.

Of the total, 474 were users, while 1,422 were pushers.

The report also showed that 1,414 of the cases were armed encounters between police and the drug suspects.

Of the 44,550 anti-illegal drug operations, 90,883 drug personalities were arrested.
Under Oplan Tokhang, 235,754 drug suspects surrendered to police and 626,719 houses were visited.

 

Duterte respects House vote on Cayetano leadership — Palace

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte respects the decision of members of the House of Representatives rejecting Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano's "offer" of resignation, his spokesman said...

Military personnel in PMA shooting has mental health problem — spokesman

THE military personnel behind the shooting inside the Philippine Military Academy (PMA) was suffering from a mental health problem, the academy disclosed on Wednesday. Cpt....

MMDA closes another U-turn slot along Edsa on Oct 12

A U-TURN slot in front of the Quezon City Academy along Epifanio Delos Santos Avenue (Edsa) is set to be closed on October 12...

Manila to require swab tests for vendors, drivers

THE MANILA government on Wednesday made the free coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) swab test for vendors, drivers, and mall employees, among others, mandatory. Mayor Francisco...

Govt posts all-time high P9.6T debt in Aug

THE government posted a new, all-time high outstanding debt at end-August as it accelerated domestic and external borrowings, according to the Bureau of the...
 

Weather

Today's Front Page

TRY OUR DIGITAL EDITION
FREE FOR 30 DAYS

ALREADY A SUBSCRIBER?