ABOUT 1.5 million drug suspects have been accounted for in the first three years of
President Rodrigo Duterte’s war on drugs, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said on Wednesday.
PNP spokesman Brig. Gen. Bernard Banac confirmed to The Manila Times that the drug users surrendered voluntarily to the PNP.
Banac’s statement came after Lt. Gen. Archie Gamboa, PNP officer in charge, described the war on drugs as “sucessful.”
Maj. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar, PNP chief of directorial staff, said the drug war should continue as Filipinos now felt “safer,” citing the 60-percent drop in crimes nationwide.
“It is because of the campaign against illegal drugs. It really caused the improvement on peace and order in the country and the safety of the people,” said Eleazar in a television interview on Wednesday.
Based on PNP data from July 2016 to July 2019, 6,600 drug suspects were killed in anti-illegal drug operations and 256, 227 had been arrested.
In Metro Manila, 1,896 drug suspects were killed from 2016 to 2019.
Of the total, 474 were users, while 1,422 were pushers.
The report also showed that 1,414 of the cases were armed encounters between police and the drug suspects.
Of the 44,550 anti-illegal drug operations, 90,883 drug personalities were arrested.
Under Oplan Tokhang, 235,754 drug suspects surrendered to police and 626,719 houses were visited.