Sen. Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go, former presidential top aide, said the agreement was reached during a meeting between President Rodrigo Duterte and MNLF founding chairman Nur Misuari in Malacañang.
Malacañang has yet to release details of the meeting which was also attended by Go and concerned Cabinet officials.
Go said follow-up meetings would be held in December in Davao City.
The senator had said that Misuari remained committed to help promote peace in the south adding that bigger panels from both sides were expected to discuss the peace agenda.
Duterte and Misuari met in Malacañang on February 25, March 19 and July 9.
The Duterte administration is exploring the possibility of creating a regional government for areas under the influence of MNLF.
Duterte’s peace adviser Carlito Galvez has recently said that they have received guidance from the President to look into the matter.
Galvez admitted that Sulu, Misuari’s turf, has been a “geographical” challenge for the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM), whose key leaders included officials of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, a rival rebel group of the MNLF.
Sulu rejected the Bangsamoro Organic Law, which was questioned before the Supreme Court by its Vice Governor Abdusakur Tan 2nd in a petition he filed in October last year.
Tan alleged that the law compels Sulu to be part of the Bangsamoro region even if it voted for exclusion.