COTABATO CITY: Classes in all levels, both private and public schools, in Makilala, North Cotabato, will remain suspended this week, a local official said on Monday.
Sherry Orbita, Makilala municipal administrator and spokesman, said Mayor Armando Quibod has ordered the extension of class suspension as the town continues to experience aftershocks and many school grounds are still being used as evacuation centers.
“One-week suspension starts today, Monday,” Orbita said, adding that school children are being given psychosocial intervention.
Aside from Makilala, classes in three villages in Tulunan, North Cotabato will also remain suspended.
These villages are Daig, Magbok and Paraiso, where school buildings have collapsed or are seriously damaged.
In other parts of North Cotabato, the Department of Education has ordered the resumption of classes in 42 of 73 affected public schools in the province.
Provincial board member Jeomar Cerebo, the spokesman for North Cotabato’s Incident Command Center, said at least 19 persons have died as a result of a series of earthquakes that hit the province last month.
Aside from fatalities from the earthquake in North Cotabato, three quake fatalities were also recorded in Davao del Sur; South Cotabato, two; and Sultan Kudarat, one.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, in a statement, said a total of 268 persons were injured in the calamity.
In North Cotabato, more than 35,180 families were affected while damaged homes were placed at 33,380.
Disaster officials in Makilala are validating reports that eight persons have remained missing and are believed to have been buried by landslides.