26.8 C
Manila
Sunday, March 29, 2020
Home News World SKorea acquits man 71 years after execution

SKorea acquits man 71 years after execution

SEOUL: A South Korean court posthumously exonerated a man executed more than 70 years ago for assisting rebel forces, saying he had been wrongly convicted.

Chang Hwan-bong, then 29, was among hundreds of people who were accused of helping left-leaning soldiers in an armed uprising against the government in the southwestern cities of Yeosu and Suncheon in October 1948. They were sentenced to death just 22 days after their ­ arrest for rebellion and were executed immediately.

But in 2009, a government truth panel found that around 438 civilians — including Chang-had been unjustly convicted and killed for collaborating with the rebel troops.


But Chang’s daughter filed for a retrial in 2013, which was approved by the Supreme Court in March last year. The Suncheon branch of the Gwangju District Court acquitted Chang on Monday, saying that the facts of his crimes cited in 1948 had not been proven.

“As a member of the judiciary, I want to make it clear that the execution of the ruling was by illegal power of the government and I make a deep apology,” said Judge Kim Jung-ah.

The dead man’s daughter Chang Kyung-ja said, “I am happy that my father’s undeserved death has been proven.”

Monday’s decision was the first acquittal for civilians convicted in the 1948 incident, according to local reports.

The Committee for the Retrial of the Yeosu-Suncheon Incident — an activist group campaigning for the victims — welcomed the “historic ruling,” saying it was “only the beginning” and as many as 5,000 had been wrongly convicted.

AP

Laguna under total lockdown

THE Laguna provincial government announced on Saturday that it was now under total lockdown due to the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Gov....

PH Covid-19 cases breach 1,000 mark, death toll rises to 68

THE number of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases breached the 1,000 mark, with 272 new infections and 68 deaths, the Department of Health (DoH)...

Lacson urges Covid-19 patients to come out

A lawmaker has appealed to Filipinos who were directly exposed and symptomatic of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) to voluntarily and publicly declare their...

PNP assures unhampered passage of food, commodities

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has assured that it would not block the passage of all deliveries of foods and commodities, according to its...

Iza Calzado tests positive for Covid-19 but in recovery, says manager

JUST three days after Iza Calzado posted on Instagram that she has been confined in a hospital due to pneumonia, her manager Noel Ferrer...

Today's Front Page