29.6 C
Manila
Monday, February 17, 2020
Home Sports Top Sports UAAP cancels games amid COVID-19 scare

UAAP cancels games amid COVID-19 scare

 

The University Athletics Association of the Philippines (UAAP) has postponed the much-awaited opening of its volleyball tournaments and other sporting events on Saturday, February 15, to protect athletes and fans from the 2019-novel coronavirus (COVID-19).

“The University Athletic Association of the Philippines upholds, in the highest regard, the well-being, health and safety of the league’s community — players, coaches, students, their families and fans in general,” the league said in a statement co-signed by UAAP President Emmanuel Fernandez and UAAP Executive Director Rebo Saguisag.

UAAP Executive Director Rebo Saguisag PHOTO COURTESY OF UAAP


“In light of the COVID-19 outbreak, the UAAP, after thorough deliberation by the Board of Trustees and the Board of Managing Directors, have come to a decision to postpone all sporting events starting Saturday, 15 February,” the statement reads.

The cancellation was announced following the news conference for second semester UAAP events on Tuesday at the Mall of Asia Arena wherein Saguisag said that “it’s all systems go” but added they are making decisions on a “day-to-day” basis.

The date of the resumption of the games is yet to be announced.

The other canceled openings are men’s football (February 16), softball (February 17), seniors baseball (February 19), athletics (February 19-23), and judo (last week of February).

The playoffs of high school beach volleyball and basketball tournaments will also be rescheduled but the fencing competition and the 10th match day of high school boys’ football will still push through this week.

The league is urging everyone to stay safe.

“The UAAP will be closely monitoring the country’s situation in relation to the COVID-19 outbreak in order to determine the resumption of the games,” the statement said.

“We ask for your understanding and your prayers for the safety of our community, our nation and all countries affected by this outbreak.”

No move to replace Sotto – Bong Go

SEN. Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go on Monday said that there is no move to replace Senate President Vicente Sotto 3rd because the majority of...

China sees rise in new virus cases, death toll rises by 105

BEIJING: Chinese authorities on Monday reported a slight upturn in new virus cases and 105 more deaths for a total of 1,770 since the...

Gasoline prices up, diesel down

OIL companies are set to increase the price of gasoline by 35 centavos per liter but the cost of diesel and kerosene will drop...

China toll leaps past 1,600 as new cases slow

BEIJING: The number of new cases from China's coronavirus epidemic dropped for a third consecutive day on Sunday, as the World Health Organisation chief...

France announces 1st death of virus patient outside Asia

PARIS: France on Saturday reported the first death outside Asia of a person infected with the new virus from China, an 80-year-old Chinese tourist...

Today’s Front Page February 17, 2020

Today’s Front Page February 17, 2020