34.7 C
Manila
Thursday, June 4, 2020
 
Home News Top Stories Nothing wrong with supporting Duterte

Nothing wrong with supporting Duterte

 

Malacañang on Friday defended Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa who had drawn criticism for reaffirming his support for President Rodrigo Duterte amid the issue of media network ABS-CBN’s franchise renewal.

SEN. Ronald “Bato” de la Rosa

Palace spokesman Salvador Panelo said there was nothing wrong with dela Rosa expressing his support for Duterte even if he was now an elected lawmaker.



“Wala namang masama doon na suportahan niya si Presidente (There’s nothing wrong with him supporting the President),” he told reporters.

Dela Rosa, a former national police chief, drew flak online for saying his vote on the ABS-CBN franchise renewal would depend on Duterte’s position.

“As I said, I will live and die with President Duterte. I will sink and swim with him. Of course, sa nakikita ko he is doing it for the good of the majority of the Filipino people,” he said.

The senator, however, denied he was a blind follower.

“I’m not blind. I have my own mind. It just so happened that our minds are synchronized.
Our minds are parallel. Our minds are going on the same direction,” dela Rosa said.

Calls for dela Rosa to resign soon circulated on social media and the hashtag
“#BatoResign” even trended on Twitter on Wednesday night.

Despite dela Rosa’s remarks, Panelo said the senator could also contradict the President because he too has principles.

“Alam mo, ang bawat tao merong personal na sentimyento sa isang kasama niya, kaibigan. Pero tandaan niyo, bawat isa rin may kanya-kanyang prinsipyo (You know, everyone has a personal sentiment on a friend or companion, but everyone has principles too),” he added.

“Siguro kaya niya sinusuportahan kasi parehas sila ng prinsipyo ni Presidente on matters, subject[s] na pinaguusapan. Kung lumihis na sa prinsipyo niya, eh ‘di syempre kokontra na rin siya (Maybe he supports the President because they have the same principles on some matters and subjects. If it’s contrary to his principle, of course he would also express opposition),” he added.

Since 2018, Duterte has personally vowed to put the Lopez-owned network and its subsidiaries out of business for not airing his presidential campaign advertisements in 2016. He even told network executives to sell the company.

The Office of the Solicitor General has asked the Supreme Court to revoke the legislative franchises of ABS-CBN, citing what it described as “highly abusive practices” of the network, which has denied any wrongdoing.

 

PH, WB sign $500-M loan

THE Philippines signed the $500-million loan agreement with the World Bank aimed at supporting the government’s ongoing efforts to ease the social and economic...

‘Yellow alert’ up in Luzon, says DoE

FOR the second time this year, the entire Luzon was placed on yellow alert today, June 4, due to thin power reserves, according to...

Magnitude 3.3 quake jolts Occidental Mindoro

A magnitude 3.3 earthquake jolted Occidental Mindoro on Thursday, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said. Phivolcs spotted the epicenter of the earthquake...

Pasig policeman nabbed for using seized motorcycle from drug bust

A Pasig City policeman was arrested for using a confiscated motorcycle from an anti-illegal drug operation last year, police reported on Thursday. BGen. Ronald Lee,...

DepEd warns public vs modules sold online

THE Department of Education (DepEd) warned the public against the alleged illegal sale of learning modules and materials online. Education Undersecretary Alain Del Pascua issued...
 

Weather

Today's Front Page