Wednesday, March 3, 2021
 

Seoul closes bars, clubs over fears of 2nd wave

 

Latest Stories

Rape suspect falls after 23 years in hiding

THE long arm of the law finally caught up with a rape suspect after he was arrested in Pangasinan...

SSS eyes more online services 

GOVERNMENT-owned Social Security System (SSS) plans to add more services in its online platforms as more members are shifting...

LandBank expands student loan coverage

STUDENTS of legal age can now directly tap the government-owned Land Bank of the Philippines’ loan program that aims...

AstraZeneca vaccines to arrive in PH on March 4

FOLLOWING a delay, the first batch of British-Swedish drugmaker AstraZeneca's vaccines from the Covax facility will finally arrive in...

6 dead as Myanmar security forces fire at protesters

YANGON: At least six people were killed as Myanmar security forces fired on pro-democracy protesters Wednesday, after the junta...

SEOUL: South Korea’s capital has ordered the closure of all clubs and bars after a burst of new cases sparked fears of a second coronavirus wave, and President Moon Jae-in urged the public to remain vigilant.

The nation has been held up as a global model on how to curb the virus, but the order from the Seoul mayor on Saturday followed a new infection cluster in Itaewon, one of the city’s busiest nightlife districts.

More than 50 cases, so far have been linked to a 29-year-old man, who tested positive after spending time at five clubs and bars in Itaewon last weekend.

Seoul: A woman wearing a face mask walks past a night club, now closed following a visit by a confirmed COVID-19 coronavirus coronavirus patient, in the popular nightlife district of Itaewon in Seoul on May 10, 2020. South Korea’s capital has ordered the closure of all clubs and bars after a burst of new cases sparked fears of a second coronavirus wave as President Moon Jae-in urged the public to remain vigilant. AFP PHOTO

“Carelessness can lead to an explosion in infections,” said Seoul mayor Park Won-soon, adding the order will remain in effect indefinitely.

Gyeonggi province — which surrounds Seoul with a population of around 12 million people — also ordered more than 5,700 entertainment facilities to suspend operations for two weeks starting Sunday.

 


With around 7,200 people estimated to have visited the five establishments, health authorities have warned of a further spike in infections and have asked those who went to any of the venues to get tested.

Of the 34 new infections reported on Sunday, 24 were tied to the Itaewon cluster, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC).

“We cannot but feel sorry to see the emergence of the new infection cluster surrounding the Itaewon clubs,” KCDC director Jeong Eun-kyeong told reporters.

The spike in new infections came as everyday life in South Korea was slowly returning to normal, with the government relaxing social distancing rules last Wednesday.

President Moon said on Sunday the new cluster had “raised awareness that even during the stabilization phase, similar situations can arise again anytime.”

‘Not over’
“It’s not over until it’s over,” Moon said during a speech marking his third anniversary of taking office.

“While keeping enhanced alertness till the end, we must never lower our guard regarding epidemic prevention,” he added.

Moon has enjoyed growing public support on the back of his government’s handling of the virus, which led to a landslide victory for his ruling party at last month’s parliamentary elections.

The usually bustling streets of Itaewon were largely empty on Sunday afternoon, with bars and clubs fronting signs reading “temporarily closed for business” or “prevention of assembly.”

“I think this incident can happen anywhere, not only in Itaewon,” said Kim Jae-sung, a chef at a neighborhood restaurant.

“What is most important is one’s of social distancing, avoiding enclosed places and being aware so that incidents like this won’t happen again,” he told AFP.

Lee Seung-wook, a 22-year-old restaurant worker, added: “We hope customers will be more co-operative when we ask for their names for the visiting records since we all need to work together.”

The country endured one of the worst early outbreaks of the disease outside mainland China, and while it never imposed a compulsory lockdown, strict social distancing had been widely observed since March.

But it appears to have brought its outbreak under control thanks to an extensive “trace, test and treat” programme that has drawn widespread praise.

Facilities such as museums and churches have reopened and some professional sports — including baseball and soccer — have started new seasons, while schools are set to re-open starting next week. AFP




 
 

Weather

Today's Front Page

TRY OUR DIGITAL EDITION
FREE FOR 30 DAYS

ALREADY A SUBSCRIBER?