32.8 C
Manila
Sunday, May 31, 2020
 
Home News Top Stories Sinas stays as NCRPO chief

Sinas stays as NCRPO chief

 

Maj. Gen. Debold Sinas will remain as the Metro Manila police head despite alleged violations of lockdown guidelines, Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Archie Gamboa said on Monday.

Gamboa said his decision was due to the continued lockdown brought by the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19)

“I hope the public would understand kasi nandito tayo sa ganito nga, may emergency situation [because we are in an emergency situation],” he said in a radio interview.



Gamboa added that Sinas is in charge of programs in relation to the pandemic, and it would be difficult for the PNP to relieve him while the country is still under quarantine.

“Siya yung nag-establish nung mga naunang quarantine [He established the first quarantine facilities],”he explained.

Gamboa also said that when Sinas became the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) chief, illegal gambling stopped in Metro Manila, and the campaign against illegal drugs intensified.

Based on the PNP data, NCR has the highest number of arrested drug suspects — 2,067 — from March 15 to April 30.

“I hope ma-validate ito ng publiko na indeed, walang nangyaring suhulan pagdating sa illegal gambling dito sa NCR [I hope the public validates that no bribery happened in the illegal gambling in NCR],” he added.

Last week, Sinas and 18 other police officers were charged by the PNP-Internal Affairs Service (IAS) of various criminal and administrative charges for violating physical distancing measures.

Sinas was criticized for having a birthday gathering in Camp Bagong Diwa despite the lockdown.

He apologized for the incident.

Gamboa has assured the public that if found liable by the court, those charged could be suspended and face forfeiture of pay.

 

Diaz, Ramirez thankful despite PSC allowance cut

RIO Olympics weightlifting silver medalist Hidilyn Diaz said on Saturday that she remained thankful to the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) despite the 50-percent reduction...

PH Covid-19 cases breach 17,000 

THE Department of Health (DoH) on Saturday reported that 590 more individuals contracted coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) in the country, bringing the nationwide count...

Number coding still suspended next week — MMDA

THE number coding scheme in Metro Manila will remain suspended for next week even if the capital transitions to a more relaxed general community...

Palace: Duterte back to Davao City amid easing of lockdown

President Rodrigo Duterte returned to his hometown Davao City as Metro Manila is set to further ease its lockdown measures to the general community...

Cebu City, Mandaue City to shift to GCQ on June 1

The cities of Cebu and Mandaue in Central Visayas will also shift to a more relaxed general community quarantine (GCQ) along with the rest...
 

Weather

Today's Front Page