27.6 C
Manila
Thursday, September 24, 2020
 
Home Sports Golf Horsfield Covid-19 positive, withdraws from US Open

Horsfield Covid-19 positive, withdraws from US Open

 

NEW YORK: English golfer Sam Horsfield has withdrawn from this week’s 120th US Open Championship after testing positive for Covid-19, organizers said on Monday (Tuesday in Manila).

The US Golf Association said Horsfield’s positive case came after he arrived in New York last week and underwent precompetition testing.

Sam Horsfield AFP FILE PHOTO

 

Horsfield, 23, said in a statement he was “asymptomatic and feeling well.”

“It goes without saying that I am hugely disappointed to not have the opportunity to play in my fourth US Open but clearly the safety of the tournament and other players is paramount,” Horsfield said.

The US Golf Association said Horsfield’s place would be taken by Rory Sabbatini, the 44-year-old South African-born professional who now represents Slovakia.

Horsfield is the second player to withdraw from the US Open due to a coronavirus positive.

On Sunday (Monday in Manila), Scottie Scheffler withdrew from the tournament following a positive case.

This year’s US Open was moved from its traditional slot in June after Covid-19 brought sport in North America to a standstill.

This year’s tournament starts on Thursday (Friday in Manila) at Winged Foot in Mamaroneck in New York.

 

MMDA to close U-turns slots along EDSA starting on Sept 27

THE Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) on Thursday announced the gradual closure of several U-turn slots along Epifanio Delos Santos Avenue (EDSA) starting on...

Local business groups back shift of Metro Manila to MGCQ

BUSINESS groups have expressed support for further easing of quarantine restrictions in Metro Manila to open more sectors of the economy, as the government...

7 Filipinas bound for UAE rescued from human traffickers

IMMIGRATION authorities at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) foiled an attempt by human trafficking syndicates to sneak out of the country seven unsuspecting...

Canada’s Trudeau promises one million jobs, warns of virus second wave

OTTAWA: Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau unveiled a grand plan Wednesday to address social inequalities laid bare by the coronavirus pandemic and create one million...

Liza Soberano files complaint vs telco employee over rape remark

POPULAR actress Liza Soberano filed a formal criminal case against an employee of an internet service provider who posted a rape threat about her...
 

Weather

Today's Front Page

TRY OUR DIGITAL EDITION
FREE FOR 30 DAYS

ALREADY A SUBSCRIBER?