Thursday, May 6, 2021
 

Ex-Bacolod councilor cleared of drug links

 

Latest Stories

Number of jobless Filipinos down in March

THE number of unemployed Filipinos went down to 3.44 million in March from 4.2 million in February, the Philippine...

Facebook board upholds Trump suspension

SAN FRANCISCO: Former President Donald Trump won’t return to Facebook — at least not yet. The social network’s quasi-independent Oversight...

PH imposes travel ban on Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka

THE Philippines has banned the entry of travelers from Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka to avert the spread...

Eleazar accepts ‘challenges’ as PNP chief

INCOMING Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Guillermo Eleazar accepted the "challenges" of his new post, among them good leadership...

Duterte appoints Eleazar as next PNP chief — Palace

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte has appointed Lt. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar as the next Philippine National Police (PNP) chief, Malacañang said...

BACOLOD CITY: Former Bacolod City councilor Ricardo “Cano” Tan has been officially cleared of any link to illegal drug activities by the Police Regional Office-6 (PRO-6).

“I was a victim of fake news,” Tan said in a press conference held Sunday at the family-owned Campuestohan Resort in Talisay City.

It was Tan’s first public appearance since he and his wife survived an ambush try in Bacolod City on Dec. 14, 2018.

Tan presented a letter signed by former PRO-6 director BGen. Rene Pamuspusan, clearing him and his family of any involvement in the illegal drug trade.

“Please be informed as per report from the concerned offices under my jurisdiction, the information allegedly linking you and your family in the illegal drug trade has not been substantiated by concrete evidence as of this date,” Pamuspusan said in the letter addressed to the former councilor.

Tan sent a letter to PRO 6 dated Aug. 6, 2020 requesting for a certification to clear his and his family’s name from illegal drug activities.

 

The issue linking Tan into the illegal drug trade stemmed from reports circulating through text messages there was a drug raid in his resort in August 2016, an allegation which he vehemently denied.

Because of the allegations, Tan sought certifications from various law enforcement agencies to clear his name.

“I am not a drug lord. I never had been a drug lord. I have not done anything wrong against the government. I’m innocent,” he added.

Tan said the accusations were not only hurtful to him but also to his family.

“I suffered the greatest pain in my life, the pain of being separated from my family and the pain of being wrongfully judged,” Tan said.

Tan also confirmed he met with President Rodrigo Duterte and the latter ordered the police to validate and revalidate all accusations against him.

The long revalidation process, he said, resulted in PRO-6 clearing him of all drug involvements.


 
 

Weather

Today's Front Page

TRY OUR DIGITAL EDITION
FREE FOR 30 DAYS

ALREADY A SUBSCRIBER?