The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) said on Saturday the government would not meet the May 15 deadline to complete the distribution of financial assistance to indigents affected by lockdowns in the National Capital Region or Metro Manila, Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna and Rizal, also known as the NCR Plus.
"Despite diligent efforts by local government units (LGUs), we will never be able to reach [100-percent completion] today (Saturday). But we're now at [90 percent], so distribution has been going smoothly," DILG spokesman Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya told The Manila Times.
Department of Social Welfare and Development spokesman Irene Dumlao said some beneficiaries might have gone to their provinces, making it impossible for the government to complete the aid distribution 100 percent.
"But just the same, they have until [today] to claim their ayuda (aid). Otherwise, they would be deemed to have waived their emergency subsidy," Dumlao said.
Malaya said unclaimed cash aids will be reallocated for other indigents affected by lockdowns, noting that the latest round of aid distribution was "much better."
"Distribution was much faster; anomalies or corruption were down; and all issues [have been] addressed early on. The grievance mechanism was also functioning compared to the social amelioration program last year," Malaya said.
The DILG said 28 LGUs in the NCR Plus have completed their cash aid distribution as of May 13.