Malacañang on Wednesday assured residents in areas under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) due to spikes in coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases of cash aid.
"To residents of Iloilo province, Iloilo City, Cagayan de Oro, Gingoog, you are not forgotten by the President," Palace spokesman Harry Roque Jr. said in a press briefing on Wednesday.
"The government will provide cash assistance and I think it will not be lower than what residents of Metro Manila received the last time Metro Manila was in ECQ," he added.
The government placed Iloilo province, Iloilo City, Cagayan de Oro and Gingoog, Misamis Oriental under ECQ until July 31.
Roque said the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) is yet to decide on the amount of the financial aid.
"From the beginning, the President has been telling the IATF-EID he will not let the government impose ECQ without providing cash aid to those who cannot work because of the lockdown. The amount is yet to be decided but that has been the policy of the President for so long."
Meanwhile, Roque said the IATF-EID will meet today, Thursday, to discuss the suggestion of Metro Manila mayors to suspend the directive allowing children aged five and up outside their homes.
On Monday, Metro Manila Development Authority chief Benjamin "Benhur" Abalos Jr. asked President Duterte to reinstate restrictions for children due to the threat of the more infectious Delta variant.
In his latest public address on Monday, Duterte said the government might again impose stricter restrictions to prevent mass gathering and superspreader events to curb possible spread of the Delta variant.
The Philippines has so far reported 35 cases of Delta variant, of which eight are active.
The Department of Health said three individuals have so far died of the Delta variant.