Dear PAO,

I am a lessee of a residential unit located in Marilao, Bulacan. A couple of weeks ago, two people came to our leased residence claiming conflicting ownership over the property. One of them claims ownership by virtue of an alleged contract of sale while the other claims ownership due to an alleged last will and testament naming him as an heir and new owner. With this predicament, may I know my remedy in determining who is entitled to receive the rent of the property that we are leasing?


Dear Rufo,

Your remedy is to file an interpleader case. Under Rule 62, Section 1 of the 1997 Rules of Civil Procedure, a person may file a special civil action for interpleader if conflicting claims are made against him or her over a subject matter in which he or she has no interest. This case is brought against the conflicting claimants in order to compel them to litigate their opposing claims among themselves. In verbatim, Rule 62, Section 1 of the 1997 Rules of Civil Procedure reads:

Premium + Digital Edition

Ad-free access

P 80 per month
(billed annually at P 960)
  • Unlimited ad-free access to website articles
  • Limited offer: Subscribe today and get digital edition access for free (accessible with up to 3 devices)

See details
See details