General Trias is an inland city of Cavite, located 35 kilometers southwest of Manila. It is surrounded by the municipalities of Rosario and Noveleta in the north, Tanza and Trece Martires in the west, Amadeo in the south, Silang in the southeast and the cities of Dasmariñas and Imus in the east.

The General Trias City Hall

Cavite's newest city has a total land area of 81.46 square kilometers. In the 2020 census, its population was 450,583 with a density of 5,500 people per square kilometer.

GenTri was referred to as Las Estancias (the ranches) during the early part of the Spanish regime. It was once a part of Cevite el Viejo, the present-day Kawit. It was also called Malabon (from "maraming labong") Grande (vast wilderness covering Sitio Tejero, called by the revolutionary as Salinas [present-day Rosario], Santa Cruz de Malabon or Malabon el Chico [present-day Tanza] and Tierra Alta [present-day Noveleta]).

When the town was made independent from Cavite el Viejo, it was then called by its popular name, San Francisco de Malabon, in honor or patron saint, Saint Francis of Assisi.

Get the latest news
delivered to your inbox
Sign up for The Manila Times’ daily newsletters
By signing up with an email address, I acknowledge that I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

The first uprising in Cavite known as the "First Cry of Cavite" happened in San Francisco de Malabon on August 31, 1896, when the town tribunal was attacked by Filipino revolutionaries led by Mariano Trias.

A Katipunan chapter known as Balangay Mapagtiis had already been in existence in the place for some time. The Sangguniang Bayang Magdiwang headed by General Mariano Alvarez of Tierra Alta later merged with Sangguniang Bayang Mapagtiis under the name Magdiwang Council with Alvarez as president. The council hosted the Tejeros Convention where General Emilio Aguinaldo was elected President and then-Lt. Gen. Mariano Trias as Vice President in a revolutionary government replacing the Katipunan.

On February 28, 1914, Act No. 2390 was passed by the Philippine Assembly changing the name of the town to Malabon. On February 24, 1920, Act No. 2889 was approved, renaming the town after General Mariano Trias.

After its cityhood in 2015, President Rodrigo Duterte signed Republic Act No. 11069, reapportioning the province of Cavite into eight legislative districts, making GenTri as the sixth legislative district.

GenTri has been gradually undergoing industrialization since the turn of the 21st century. Several major industrial estates, such as Gateway Business Park and the New Cavite Industrial City, have chosen GenTri as their home base.

CEPZ occupies about 0.60 square kilometers of land belonging to GenTri, with 110 factories operating inside the zone. Golden Gate Industrial Park Phase 1 and 2 are also within the boundaries of GenTri.

GenTri is considered one of the new frontiers of growth and development in the Calabarzon region as attested by the giant industrial subdivisions located in the city.

Many of these are in the highland barangay of Manggahan, located along Governor's Drive, the barangays of San Francisco and Santiago in the Arnaldo Highway and Barangay Pasong Camachille 2 on Open Canal Road.

On the southern part of the city lies one the country's biggest golf and country residential estates, the Eagle Ridge Golf and Country Club covering around 700 hectares.

Located at the Tejero intersection is Robinson's Place, the fourth shopping mall in the province and the first full-scale mall in GenTri.

The master plan for General Trias is to achieve an agro-industrial and residential balance.

City of General Trias Medicare Hospital

Current developments include the construction of several projects – City of General Trias Health Complex in Barangay Pinagtipunan comprised of the new Dialysis Center, renovated Medicare Hospital and the City Health Office-Main; the eight diversion roads including one connecting Governor Ferrer Drive of Barangay Buenavista 1 to Arnaldo Highway of Barangay Santiago; the General Trias City Hall Building-Manggahan Annex, the CDRRO Command Center and Main Fire Station, the four-story Senior High School Building at Barangay Santiago, the City Crematorium and Columbarium at Barangay Buenavista 3; and the City Park at Barangay San Juan 1.

After the cityhood in 2015, significant improvements were made on the projects of the city government which includes among others the renovation of the City Plaza, Sports Center and the construction of a grandstand and two covered courts in the Sports Park.

GenTri would soon be more accessible with the C-6 Expressway's construction connecting North and South Luzon and the Cavite-Laguna Expressway. The expansion of LRT-6 from Bacoor to Dasmariñas would also provide fast access from the city to Metro Manila.

Several hospitals, both private and government-owned, have also sprouted throughout GenTri ranging from government health centers to private clinics to complete hospitals GenTri Medical Center and Hospital Inc. and Gentri Doctors Medical Center to name a few are among the biggest hospitals in the entire province of Cavite.

GenTri celebrates its Valenciana Festival every year. Valenciana, a variation of the Valenciana paella, was first popularized in GenTri and became part of its culture.