(UPDATE) THE Philippines "has no intention" of rejoining the International Criminal Court (ICC), President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. said on Monday.

The President said in a briefing on Monday that he met last week with his administration's legal team of Solicitor General Menardo Guevarra, Department of Justice (DoJ) Secretary Jesus Crispin "Boying" Remulla, and Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Juan Ponce Enrile, along with Foreign Affairs Secretary Enrique Manalo and former presidential spokesman Harry Roque, an ICC-recognized lawyer who will now serve as private counsel, to discuss the international tribunal's plan to reopen its investigation of the Duterte government's bloody campaign against illegal drugs.

"Sinasabi ngayon na itutuloy ang imbestigasyon. Sinasabi naman namin may imbestigasyon naman dito at patuloy rin naman ang imbestigasyon. Bakit magkakaroon ng ganoon (ICC is saying now that the investigation will continue. What we're saying is we have our own investigation and it's a continuing investigation. So why have another probe)," Marcos said.

He said the choice is whether the Philippines will respond or not to the ICC request.

Another option is to fully ignore the ICC's request, he said.

Get the latest news
delivered to your inbox
Sign up for The Manila Times’ daily newsletters
By signing up with an email address, I acknowledge that I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

The President called for the meeting more than a week after the international court urged the Philippines to reply to the ICC prosecutor's request to reopen the probe into the killings attributed to the war on drugs.

At least 12,000 persons were killed during the crackdown, and 2,500 of the killings were attributed to the Philippine National Police (PNP).

Human rights groups have accused former president Rodrigo Duterte of sanctioning extra-judicial killings.

The ICC gave the country until September 8 to comment on its request.

Marcos said a response to ICC needed to be carefully studied.

"I said you have to thoroughly study the procedure so that we do the right thing. Our actions might be misinterpreted, so we must clarify what really needs to be done, who to write, what should be written down," the President said.

On March 17, 2018, Duterte ordered the withdrawal of the Philippines from the Rome Statute just weeks after former ICC chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda announced that the body has begun a preliminary examination into the Duterte administration's alleged crimes against humanity committed during his campaign against illegal drugs.

The Rome Statute, signed in 1998, gives the ICC authorization to investigate crimes against humanity, genocide, war crimes and crimes against aggression committed in the territory of the signatories.

The Philippines is a signatory to the statute.

After cutting off ties with the ICC, Duterte warned that any foreign entity who will act "beyond bounds of the Philippine law" will be "held accountable to the highest degree."