THE radical Rajah Solaiman Movement (RSM) has been trying to rebuild itself by recruiting younger members in the past several months, a source from the police intelligence community said on Monday.
“They (RSM) are recruiting new members and most of them are younger now and are more aggressive,” the intelligence officer said.
He revealed that they have been monitoring at least two cells of RSM that they suspect will be used as springboards for launching terror attacks in Luzon and even in Metro Manila.
“We are monitoring their cells… one in Cavite and the other one in Novaliches in Quezon City,” the officer said.
He added that the RSM terror cell in Cubao, Quezon City had been deactivated by the group and it has been moved somewhere in Laguna.
Intelligence operatives earlier said that they have monitored at least 100 new recruits of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) who completed their training on bomb making in Central Mindanao and these new recruits could be given test missions outside Mindanao.
Founded by Hilarion del Rosario alias ‘Akhmad Santos’ in the ‘90s, RSM is a group of former Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW) who converted to Islam.
The group has been tagged in several deadly attacks in the past that killed dozens of people and injured scores of others, the deadliest of which was the 2004 bombing of a Superferry.
Akhmad Santos was arrested in 2005 in Zamboanga City and is now detained in Bicutan, Taguig City.